Date: 4/3/18 2:13 pm
From: Amy Hopkins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] The Evolution of Beauty by Dr. Richard Prum

Come join The Parrot Club on Tuesday, April 10, for anexciting talk and book signing by Richard O. Prum, Ph.D., the William RobertsonCoe Professor of Ornithology, Ecology, and Evolutionary Biology at Yale'sPeabody Museum of Natural History about "The Evolution of Beauty: How Darwin's Forgotton Theory of Mate ChoiceShapes the Animal World - and Us". Dr. Prum, winner of the "Genius" McArthur award in 2010, isauthor of this exciting new book chosen by the New York Times Book Review asone of the Best Books of 2017, along with the Smithsonian and the Wall StreetJournal!

Dr. Prum has a beautiful presentation filled with colorfulimages and videos of male birds trying to impress females, hence the"beauty" in the title. This isa talk not to be missed! He'll alsobring a limited supply of books, which he'll sign there.

Time: 7:30 p.m.
Location: Veteran's Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset RidgeDr., East Hartford
Suggested Admission: $3 for adults, 12 and under free
Contact: <info...>
Directions: http://www.theparrotclub.org/

Some quotes sum it up best:

"If a science book can besubversive and feminist and change the way we look at our own bodies — but alsobe mostly about birds — this is it….It’s a passionate plea that begins withbirds and ends with humans and will help you finally understand, among otherthings, how in the world we have an animal like the peacock." (Author uncertain)

“The Evolution of Beauty is at oncefascinating, provocative, and totally compelling. Anyone interested in scienceor art or sex - which is to say everyone - will want to read it.”
—Elizabeth Kolbert,author of The Sixth Extinction

"Prum draws on decades of study,hundreds of papers, and a lively, literate, and mischievous mind . . . adelicious read, both seductive and mutinous . . . Prum's attention never straysfar from nature, and his writing [about birds] is minutely detailed,exquisitely observant, deeply informed, and often tenderly sensual."
—David Dobbs, New York Times Book Review