Date: 4/3/18 12:56 pm
From: Stephen Shunk <steve...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] Flicker drumming
All,
I mentioned this earlier, re: the flicker drumming on the house issue, but
I'd love it if someone would do this experiment for me:

- Attach a decent-sized piece of sheet metal to a tree; on top of a large
branch (wrapping the branch?) might be best for flickers (they 'perch'
horizontally better than they 'hang' on the side of a tree), but curving
around part of the trunk would probably also work.
- Use nails but don't pound them all the way in; the tree will grow into
the nails over time, and if the metal is a bit loose, it might make more
noise.
- Once the metal is attached, bang on it a bit to see if you achieve the
desired effect.
- Choose a site fairly close to the drumming 'post' on the house but far
enough away so that it won't be too loud for you.
- Also choose a site that is not too hidden, so the birds easily find it.

I actually came up with this idea during a presentation I was giving later
last year. Not that it's some great device I've invented, but it could be a
very useful tool for getting woodpeckers to stop drumming on people's
houses. If you decide to try it out, please let me know.

Happy Woodpecker Watching!
Steve Shunk

*Do you have your copy of the Peterson Reference Guide to Woodpeckers of
North America?*
Visit www.woodpeckerwonderland.com for details!

Stephen Shunk, Paradise Birding
P.O. Box 547 Sisters, OR 97759