Date: 4/3/18 6:41 am
From: Shea Tiller via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Hog Island WMA--intense security?
Hello all.

I'm hoping to go to Hog Island WMA at some point soon if not this week, and
I've read some rather fiery language about the security there. I don't
really know anything about this type of search procedure myself, so this
raised a couple of questions. Here are some of the less favorable things
I've read:

"*Bomb check while being openly eyed by a trigger happy guard with auto
weapon.*"

"*they have automatic weapons and like to show them off.*"

And here is a more level-headed text:

"*you will be checked by security, which means getting out of your vehicle,
getting your ID copied/checked, vehicle inspected for bombs, weapons or
powder residue by security guards brandishing heavy weaponry.*"

So what exactly does this entail? I'd like to here some birder accounts of
this searching. If it takes a really long time then I'll know not to go
there when there's a time constraint.

And now for the birding; I have a good idea of how to bird Hog Island from
maps, but are there any specific recommendations that folks have?

Thanks and great birding!

Shea