Date: 4/2/18 8:23 pm
From: Donald Sweig via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Riverbend Park: Surprisingly Song-birdy
A friend and I went to Riverbend Park this afternoon for about three hours ostensibly to look for the wild flowers, but it soon turned into a birding adventure.
Walking up river on the river trail from the visitor center, at the point where the trail sort of goes down, bends to the left and then goes up on the right we found and had good and extensive looks at a Louisiana Waterthrush. The bird was walking around and feeding in the creek beside the trail. We watched it for about 10 minutes until some people came down the trail and flushed it up to a small tree, where it sat for about five minutes and sang two or three times and then return to the creek. We then watched it for another 10 minutes or so. In the process we also found a Hermit Thrush.

On the walk back to the parking lot we found even more birds:
Six Eastern Phoebes; two Blue-gray Gnatcatchers; two Yellow- rumped warblers; two Ruby-crowned Kinglets; a Brown creeper, and five Yellow-Palm Warblers (four were feeding up in the trees and one was feeding in the leaves about 15 feet off of the path.) .
We also observed 15 to 20 what appeared to be Bonaparte’s Gulls flying down river. We didn’t see the gulls well. They were flying down river on the far side of the river and we observed them mostly through the leafless trees. But, they did appear to be Bonaparte’s.

On the river we had about six Common Mergansers, and maybe ten Bufflehead. Two chicks and one adult Bald eagle were observed at the Eagle nest.
Flowerwise, the bluebells are up everywhere and beginning to come into flower, And we found at least eight other varieties of ephemeral wild flowers.
It was a surprisingly birdy and nice afternoon, given the cool, cloudy weather.
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia

Sent from my iPad