Date: 4/2/18 4:50 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] MORE ON - Dusky Canada goose or occidentalis/fulva subspecies or the usual ? P’Town Marsh, Salem County
Wow ! JBirds at its best. What do I mean by that ?

I must share an email I received from a birder from Portland, Oregon in response to my recent post about the Dusky Canada goose or occidentalis/fulva subspecies or the usual at P’Town Marsh. This birder is one of our own who grew up in South Jersey.

He was intrigued about my post and wrote:

“I grew up in South Jersey but now live out in Oregon. I keep an eye on Jersey Birds to see what is up. Dusky Canada Geese winter almost exclusively in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. I suppose a bird could wander, but that would be a true wanderer to get to South Jersey. Both Cacklers and Canada Geese can vary in plumage etc, there are dark versions and lighter versions of the same subspecies. I doubt it is a Dusky simply by range. If you post a photo, I would be happy to take a gander, sorry for the pun”.

When I posted in JBirds, I did read about the Dusky’s range in the west coast, and I was thinking outside of the box.

After another email exchange and link to my Flickr, this birder responded by “Your's is very pale for a Dusky, and appears, even considering its stretched out neck, to be very large. They are so dark that there is very little contrast with neck collar and breast” He also wrote “a small flock of Duskies will usually have one with a researcher's red neck band”.

After reading this birder’s response and more research on my own, the odd goose I saw certainly is not a Dusky. Thanks to this birder, I now know more about Dusky Canada goose than I did two days ago. I can not mention his name since I do not have his permission and our email exchange was private.

The lesson I learned is the hidden power of JBirds where a west coast birder gave me a Goose ID lesson because of it. I am so grateful to this birder for responding to me via JBirds. For those who may be interested in seeing the odd goose and how far I was off in ID’ing a *potential* Dusky Canada Goose. Photos can be reviewed on my Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56086564@N04/

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>