Date: 4/2/18 3:19 pm
Subject: Alligator Refuge birding
Went out on the Alligator Refuge Saturday morning, 31 March, and found a few unexpected birds: 2 Ovenbirds, about a dozen Prairie Warblers and a Northern Parula, all a little early. The next day, yesterday, I found a Prothonotary Warbler, the earliest date by almost a week - that I've ever seen one. Also present were plenty of Yellow-throated Warblers and Black-throated Greens, including a couple of females. Common Yellowthroats seemed to be present in low numbers, based on the lack of song. Also heard a couple of White-eyed Vireos.
Al Hooks and I had at least several Rusty Blackbirds, too, yesterday, but could only hear them in the dense Pocosin habitat.
Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!