Date: 4/2/18 3:03 pm
From: Herbert Larner via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Waterfowl fallout Augusta County
Hello all

After getting off work this morning & instead of going home & getting some sleep , I picked up Penny Warren around 8 am & we birded most of all Augusta Counties ponds & lakes . We had good numbers of Waterfowl , Grebe's & Gull's . Below is a list of birds that were found . We birded Bells lane , Fishersville areas , Lyndhurst areas , Stuarts Draft area & Swoope . All numbers are totaled together thru out Augusta County .

CANADA GOOSE -- 150

WOOD DUCK -- 44

GADWALL -- 36

AMERICAN WIGEON -- 8

MALLARD -- 21

BLUE - WINGED TEAL -- 12

NORTHERN SHOVELER -- 8

GREEN - WINGED TEAL -- 15

RING - NECKED DUCK -- 45

GREATER SCAUP -- 45

LESSER SCAUP -- 164

WHITE - WINGED SCOTER -- 13

LONG - TAILED DUCK -- 8

BUFFLEHEAD -- 101

HOODED MERGANSER -- 15

COMMON MERGANSER -- 5

RED - BREASTED MERGANSER -- 36

RUDDY DUCK -- 65

WILD TURKEY -- 18

PIED - BILLED GREBE -- 20

HORNED GREBE -- 127 -- 72 WERE AT THE STURATS DRAFT SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT RANGING FROM WINTER PLUMAGE TO FULL BREEDING PLUMAGE . NEAT TO STUDY THE VARIOUS DEGREES OF PLUMAGE

D C CORMORANT -- 13

AMERICAN COOT -- 9

GREATER YELLOWLEGS -- 1

WILSON SNIPE -- 37

BONAPARTE'S GULL -- 93

RING - BILLED GULL -- 36

HERRING GULL -- 6 -- ELAINE CARWILE CALLED ME AFTER SHE HAD VISITED THE TREATMENT PLANT & SHE ADDED SEVERAL MORE TO THE NUMBERS

RUSTY BLACKBIRD -- 15

TREE SWALLOW -- 150 +

NRWINGED SWALLOW -- 10

BARN SWALLOW -- 8

Not a bad day of birding in & around Augusta County .

We also stopped by Willow Lake where there were Horned Grebe , Pied - billed , Bonaparte's , Ring - billed , & Herring Gull , both Scaup , GW & BW Teal , Am. Wigeon , RN Duck , Bufflehead , RB Merganser .

Allen Larner
Staunton