Date: 4/2/18 1:17 pm
From: Fred Atwood via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] upper Middle Peninsula Sat Mar 31: pectoral sandpiper, lots of snipes, a few FOYs
Dear Virginia Birders
Sorry for this belated report. I spent the day on Saturday mostly at three
private locations in King William and King and Queen counties. The complete
lists can be found in the Explore Data section of eBird. I found 79
species with the following highlights and FOYs (first of year sightings for
me)
--Only 48 Canada Geese all day, many of which were on nests on duck blinds
in the rivers
--1 immature Tundra Swan
--A few lingering other waterfowl including 3 gadwalls, 17 black ducks, 8
green-winged teal, 4 ring-necked ducks, 7 buffleheads, 3 pied-billed
grebes, and 2 horned grebes
--19 Turkeys, in two farmfield flocks with displaying males
--Big numbers of some shorebird species in marshy pools and mud flats
including 128 (!) Wilson's Snipe, 5 Pectoral Sandpipers (FOY), 1
Short-billed Dowitcher, 43 Greater Yellowlegs, and 106 Lesser Yellowlegs.
All of these shorebirds were at one location in King William. I scoped
carefully for other species but could not find a solitary, peep, or dunlin
among them.
--No woodcocks displaying in three expected locations checked in both
counties at dusk (hoping to add them to the atlas).
--2 Bonapartes and 3 Laughing Gulls (FOY)
-- 4 Forster's Terns and 1 Royal Tern (FOY)
--10 Red-headed Woodpeckers at one location
--7 Kestrels in 4 locations
--2 Horned Larks chasing each other with territorial behavior
--123 Tree Swallows and 2 rough-winged swallows (FOY) but no martins or
other swallows despite careful study.
--3 male Blue-gray Gnatcatchers (FOY) singing, not just doing their buzzy
note
--1 winter wren and 3 hermit thrush still hanging around
--20 Pine Warblers
-- 7 Yellow-throated Warblers (FOY)
-- 1 Yellow Palm Warbler (FOY)
--No other warblers except yellow-rumped's
--Lots of chipping sparrows (72)
--A few fox, and swamp sparrows but only 1 savannah and no vesper sparrows
despite lots of trying for them in suitable habitat.

All the best
Wishing you a great spring migration and lots of confirmed breeders for the
Atlas project
Fred Atwood
Flint Hill School, Oakton (Fairfax Co)