Date: 4/2/18 12:37 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Fw: Fwd: Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk,

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Nancy Vehrs <nvehrs1...>To: Harry Glasgow <harry.glasgow...>Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018, 3:25:18 PM EDTSubject: Fwd: Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk,

-------- Original message --------From: Harry Glasgow <harry.glasgow...> Date: 4/2/18 3:07 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Nancy Vehrs <nvehrs1...> Subject: Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
As is the case nearly every Spring and Fall when we change the starting times of the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk, we have a  precipitous drop in attendance.  Today we were able to attract 17 birders, while our roster nearly every Monday in the winter averaged about 30 to 40 birders. Poor weather added to this decline as well.  Birders are reminded that we begin at 7AM until the fall.  While the birder count was off, the bird population was up.  The count today was 59 species, with First of Season returnees adding to the count.  Among these were Barn Swallows, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Palm Warblers, and a Louisiana Waterthrush.
Canada Goose  32
Wood Duck  12
Blue-winged Teal  5
Northern Shoveler  8
Gadwall  6
Mallard  8
Green-winged Teal  33
Hooded Merganser  4
Wild Turkey  5
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  12
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  5
Osprey  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  7
Mourning Dove  7
Barred Owl  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  5
Northern Flicker  6
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  6
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  5
Fish Crow  12
crow sp.  5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  8
Barn Swallow  2    First of the Season
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  12
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  4
Hermit Thrush  5
American Robin  17
Cedar Waxwing  28
Louisiana Waterthrush  1
Palm Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Dark-eyed Junco  1
White-throated Sparrow  25
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  2
Northern Cardinal  15
Red-winged Blackbird  40
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Rusty Blackbird  60Common Grackle  13
American Goldfinch  5
The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from October through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all.  Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Friends of Huntley Meadows Park