Date: 4/2/18 11:59 am
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] WAS-sponsored Arb walk, Sat., 4/7, 8 am, in search of early spring migrants
Don't miss this Saturday's Washtenaw Audubon Society-sponsored Arb walk in
search of early spring migrants such as Yellow-bellied sapsuckers,
White-throated sparrows, Winter wrens, Fox sparrows, Ruby- and
Golden-crowned kinglets, and Brown creepers. We will be on the lookout for
first warblers -- Yellow-rumped, Pine, and Orange-crowned. Louisiana
waterthrush would be a rarity but we heard and some birders saw one on this
same field trip two years ago.

We will wander the Arb's meandering gravel and dirt paths. Dress
appropriately for a very cold start to a cold day -- coat, gloves, scarf,
hat, sensible footwear, maybe hands and feet warmers. On cold mornings, the
trails can be slick and slippery. Be prepared for lots of walking and
occasional standing in place for periods of time. No strollers, dogs, or
wagons please. Walk should end between 10:30 and 11 AM but you can leave at
anytime. We will meet at the Riverview entrance to the Arb at 8 AM sharp.

PS. I struggled in the Arb today, finding only 26 species; migrant examples
are 1 Fox sparrow, 5 Golden-crowned kinglets, 4 Phoebes, 0 winter wrens, 0
Hermit thrushes, and 1 Sapsucker. A year ago, I found 37 species; migrant
examples are 7 Fox sparrows, 10 Golden-crowned kinglets, 5 Phoebes, 5
Winter wrens, 1 Hermit thrush, 1 Sapsucker. We need warmer weather with
south winds to blow migrants here but it's not in the forecast.

Karen Markey
Email: <ylime...>
Web: http://ylime.people.si.umich.edu/

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org