Date: 4/2/18 8:05 am
From: Dave Oster <000004150120c36e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] The Plight of the Early Bird?
Today's snow may well cause some mortality, but birds (like other animals) are very good at what they do. Remember they are the product of countless previous generations in which only the smartest, fastest and strongest would typically survive. I therefore think of today's birds as "super-organisms".

When normal food sources are not available, early migrants can often exploit alternate or secondary sources. Phoebes, for example, are known to feed on fruit if insects are not available. However, by poking around trees, brushy vegetation and any exposed leaf litter, insect eggs, pupae, and over-wintering adults can often be located. Temperatures are expected to rise this week and I would wager that many of our early migrants will do OK.

Dave Oster
Verona