Date: 4/1/18 6:20 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Monte Vista Refuge Changes Overnight
After observing birds in the San Luis valley for 35 years (gasp!), and
keeping records, I can say with certainty that April 1st is no foolish date
for birds! Overnight it seems there is a new, and expected arrival of birdy
characters that brighten the wetlands and meadows. Tonite, wife Lisa and I
birded the Monte Vista Refuge. A huge contingent of Yellow-headed
Blackbirds were here today and not just a few days ago. Cinnamon Teal were
much more abundant and the first Blue-winged Teal was seen. In many past
Aprils, Great Egrets seem to wander this way and tonite we are fairly
certain we scoped one in the bulrushes. About 4-5,000 cranes still remain,
and that hasn't changed much from last week. Two Loggerhead Shrikes tonite
had not been seen last week. So things are changing...enjoy each and every
day....

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO