Date: 4/1/18 4:07 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Dusky Canada goose or occidentalis/fulva subspecies or the usual ? P’Town Marsh, Salem County
I was *the* April Fool set up by a Jersey birder a few years ago about his Tyto Alba walnutis (Barn Owl). This year I was determined not to fall into his trap, so I decided to become my own April Fool.

So I went to the P’Town Marsh in Pedericktown this morning in search of long lost ruff at this once very famous Ruff Capital of North America . I arrive about 1.5 hours after the low tide and stood in one location until the marsh was getting inundated again with the incoming tide a few hours later.

What an April Fool I was. Only shorebirds I was able find in the marsh during the incoming tide were three y’legs and several Killdeer.

Consolation prize was an odd looking Canada Goose that was chilling with the rest of his/her crew at the adjacent farm field. My first impression was the geese had almost all chocolate brown or rufus chest and belly to the bird, and it seemed larger and taller than the rest. It really stood out from the rest of the flock.

Once I got home and quick look at the Net-Geo field guide and internet search, it could pass for a Dusky Canada goose or occidentalis/fulva subspecies.

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>