Date: 4/1/18 11:13 am
Subject: Passing of Bob Simpson
Sadly, the great NC outdoors writer (weekly column in the Raleigh News &
Observer for several dozen years), originator of the Big Rock Blue Marlin
Tournament, and owner and operator of a charter fishing boat, passed away
at age 92 on March 28. He was probably the most famous outdoorsman along
the central NC coast, and he also received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine
award, the highest civilian honor the State of NC can bestow.

I met Bob a few times on Morehead City bird counts, though I certainly
didn't know him well in person. But, my reading of the Sunday paper wasn't
complete without learning about what Bob and friends had been up to in
Carteret and nearby counties in terms of nature watching. He often referred
to friends Gene Huntsman and John Fussell, with whom he spent much time in
the field.

Here is his obituary. Note that memorial donations may be made to the
Carteret County Wildlife Club -- certainly a very worthy cause for outdoors
interests.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.legacy.com_obituaries_newsobserver_obituary.aspx-3Fn-3Drobert-2Dsimpson-2Dbob-26pid-3D188616189-26fhid-3D6256&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=lOhwCwJIs_Ycs0WMRCnk1-u8oBMX-2KYLlFsYAR-bhU&s=kbwXIWh8_CEvHjcs2Hfe5m0n928NMDgW1c8GhMw4-bE&e=

Join us on Facebook!