Date: 4/1/18 10:10 am
From: frank wilson via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] P-b Grege again New Haven
Much to my surprise, I again saw the Pied-billed Grebe briefly on the incoming tide @12:43 today. Off Meadow View Rd. beyond the Morris Creek Preserve sign. This site is a fairly degraded wetland, channelized in the 1960’s and the treed hummock opposite the sign is actually a rubble pile which is now tree-covered. Lots of phragmites and knotweed on the New Haven Land Trust property. The marsh undoubtedly offers little at the moment. There was nothing else on the water but a pair of Canada geese in the main channel -very quiet, not even the usual two dozen black ducks and occasional pairs of Mergs.

I live opposite the site, and have been on medical leave, so I have lots of time to view the goings- on in this part of the reserve. I have only seen this bird only on incoming or near high tide, when water spills over the low dike separating the marsh from the main channel.

The grebe came into the marsh channel and dove for perhaps 5 minutes, then moved back to the main channel which is around 250 meters downstream from the flood gate - then was out of sight. I had assumed that the previous sighting a few days ago was a bird moving through - since there are only two nesting sites in the state, and this isn’t one. I can’t imagine that upstream around or inside Tweed-New Haven airport property offers habitat conducive for nesting. But who knows?

Frank Wilson
New Haven