Date: 3/31/18 7:43 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Re: Broad-winged Hawk WMass
Yes, after my post, some research and discussions revealed that this Broad-wing was less surprising than I thought. I checked Veit and Peterson (thanks to Mark Rines I finally have a copy!), they cited a March 23 record as their earliest. Then I surfed through eBird records from MA in March, and one which was entered by Bird Observer staff (actually seen by Steve Grinley) was dated March 17, 1996. That’s the earliest I’ve found so far, all others have been March 21 or later. Rick Heil noted in a FaceBook comment that eBird listed a couple of dozen records for New England.

BTW, a late addition to the western MA waterbird fallout tally, Bob Drumgool posted very nice photos of a Ross’ Goose from Deerfield, taken yesterday! But he apparently went back today and the bird was gone…

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Mar 31, 2018, at 4:52 PM, Nickilas Paulson <grendelpgill...> wrote:
>
> I generally expect my local breeding Broad-winged Hawks to arrive either the last week of March or first week of April in Upton SF or my yard. Red-shouldered and Broad-winged Hawks both showed up in the yard this morning.
>
> Nickilas Paulson
> grendelpgill at yahoo . com
> Upton ma
>
> Sent from my iPhone