Date: 3/31/18 5:14 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Loon and Grebe fallout - Armstrong County (late post)
I'm a bit late on this one but the waterfowl fallout that was reported yesterday from various sites throughout the state occurred at Keystone Lake in Armstrong County as well. I met Sam Gutherie there yesterday late afternoon. Most birds were very distant to the south off of Atwood boat launch, so we drove south to the overflow and hiked in and scoped from there, which gave us a closer view and also allowed us to see a lot more birds along the far shore even closer to the dam. Of most note were 5 Red-throated Loons, 46 Common Loons, 57 Horned Grebes, 42 Red-breasted Mergansers, and 6 Long-tailed Ducks. Also on the lake in the deep water were 2 Bonaparte's Gulls and 11 Double-crested Cormorants were in the backwaters. We ran into Roger and Margaret Higbee who also had similar numbers of the key species and had even higher numbers for some. Overall, we had 17 species of waterfowl and a total of 246 individuals. The eBird checklist is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44094775

On the way out at the Gastown ponds there was also a single drake Greater Scaup and 4 American Wigeon.

Good birding,

Alan Buriak

Gibsonia, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!