Date: 3/31/18 2:35 pm
From: Elton Morel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] NVBC walk at Leopold's Preserve, Prince William county, Mar 31, 2018

VA Birders: This morning, the Northern Virginia Bird Club held a bird walk on a delightful spring morning at Leopold's Preserve in Prince William county. The preserve is west of Haymarket on Thoroughfare Road south of Route 55.  We collectively found 54 species.  Our highlights were a slightly early arriving Green Heron that flew over our heads and disappeared into the marsh, our first-of-season Barn Swallows for many of us, flyby of a Wilson's Snipe, a flock of Green-winged Teals that also contained a pair of Blue-winged Teals, nice looks at Wood Ducks, three Rusty Blackbirds, flyovers of Osprey, raven and Killdeer, singing Brown Thrasher and Eastern Towhees, a couple of Chipping Sparrows in a backyard and many nice looking Swamp Sparrows in the field bordering the marsh.  Frustratingly, I kept trying to find one of the many singing Field Sparrows, but none were spotted for all the groups to see. Surprisingly, we also had a few obvious missed species -- no Carolina Chickadee nor White-breasted Nuthatch.  While it was a stretch as far as expectations, we also did not find any of the hoped for bitterns or rails in the marsh - perhaps we were just a bit too early in the season for these species at this location. The complete eBird checklist is below. Elton MorelArlington, Virginia

Leopold's Preserve, Prince William, Virginia, US
Mar 31, 2018 7:20 AM - 11:05 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: NVBC walk led by Elton Morel.
54 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 12
Wood Duck 8
Blue-winged Teal 2
Gadwall 1
Mallard 4
Green-winged Teal 12
Hooded Merganser 5
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Great Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1 Flyover, dropped into the marsh, small dark heron.
Black Vulture 15
Turkey Vulture 10
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
hawk sp. 2
Killdeer 1 Flyover, calling
Wilson's Snipe 1 Flushed from the flooded field, circled around a few times before dropping into the marsh.
Mourning Dove 3
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3