Date: 3/31/18 12:50 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [cobirds] Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (31 Mar 2018) 10 Raptors
Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
Colorado, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 31, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 1 2 2
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 3 3
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 4 4
Cooper's Hawk 1 8 8
Northern Goshawk 0 1 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 5 168 168
Rough-legged Hawk 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 0
Ferruginous Hawk 0 2 2
Golden Eagle 0 8 8
American Kestrel 1 14 14
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 1 1
Prairie Falcon 0 2 2
Mississippi Kite 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 1 4 4
Unknown Buteo 0 5 5
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 10 224 224

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 12:30:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter: Mitchell Blystone

Observers:

Visitors:
A birdwatcher, Crystal, stopped by for a period during the colder part of
the day and she explained how she watches our reports and has wanted to
make it up to check out the counting station. It was a relatively mild
Saturday with view hikers and bikers on the trail and very view coming up
to the platform. Question, has anyone else been told to get down from the
hill because we're in the firing range's no-man-zone? I had two different
groups tell me that today making for three times overall the season! I
politely explained that birders take serious risks.

Weather:
The early morning started calm and cold with uninterrupted sunshine which
helped warm the hilltop. Eventually a shelf cloud covered the sun through
most of the 10am hour which made the temperature drop and the SE breeze
pick up. Into the 11am hour the temperature fluctuations where very quick
and drastic with quickly moving bands of clouds covering and uncovering the
sun. Around midday the clouds disappeared overhead which was a nice
reprieve from the cold.

Raptor Observations:
Early in the morning the local Red Tails were seen playing up and down the
eastern hillside landing on both telephone poles and tree tops. At one
point two Red Tails were harassing some Magpies either looking for a nest
or just enjoying the Magpies discomfort. A group of four Turkey Vultures
were seen headed south along the western ridge and then they vanished
behind Mt. Morrison.
There was a good variety of migrators observed this morning. The
Accipiters were moving very quickly and I was lucky to catch any of them.
There did not seem to be a preferred flight path today but rather a range
in elevations and locations.

Non-raptor Observations:
There was eight elk (mothers and children) very close to the platform on
the eastern side which were fun to watch meander through the bushes and
take naps under the pines. Three Canada Geese plus multiple Magpies,
Townsends Solitaires, Scrub Jays, Blackcapped Chickadees, Northern
Flickers, and American Crows were seen throughout the day. The amount of
flying insects has definitely increased it seems with a variety visiting
the hilltop.

Predictions:
None really, no real pattern today other than the clouds covering and
uncovering at a consistent rate. Bring a down jacket and sunscreen.
Report submitted by Matthew Smith (<matt.smith...>)
Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies information may be found at:
http://www.birdconservancy.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=123

Site Description:
Dinosaur Ridge is the only regularly staffed hawkwatch in Colorado and is
the best place in the world to see migrating Ferruginous Hawks. Dinosaur
Ridge may be the best place in the country to see the rare dark morph of
the Broad-winged Hawk (a few are seen each spring). Hawkwatchers who linger
long enough may see resident Golden Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks and Prairie
Falcons, in addition to migrating Swainson's, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawks, American Kestrels and Turkey Vultures. Peregrine Falcons and
Ferruginous Hawks are uncommon; Northern Goshawk is rare but regular.
Non-raptor species include Rock Wren, and sometimes Bushtit, Western
Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, White-throated Swift, American White Pelican or
Dusky Grouse. Birders are always welcome.
The hawkwatch is generally staffed by volunteers from Bird Conservancy of
the Rockies from about 9 AM to around 3 PM from March 1st to May 7th.

Directions to site:
From exit 259 on I-70 towards Morrison, drive south under freeway and take
left into first parking lot, the Stegosaurus lot. Follow small signs from
the south side of lot to hawkwatch site. The hike starts heading east on an
old two-track and quickly turns south onto a trail on the west side of the
ridge. When the trail nears the top of the ridge, turn left, head through
the gate, and walk to the clearly-visible, flat area at the crest of the
ridge.