Date: 3/31/18 12:16 pm
From: Fred Shaffer <glaucousgull...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Black-headed Gull continues at Back River
I made a brief stop at Diamond Point along the Back River this morning, quickly finding the previously reported Black-headed Gull on the mudflats with about 350 Bonaparte's Gulls.  I viewed the bird at rest and in flight, seeing the reddish-tinged bill (evident only with scope views), the full hood and the black underside of the middle primaries (seen in flight). I got much briefer views of an immature Little Gull walking on the mudflats, which I quickly lost and was unable to relocate as the gulls moved about on the mudflats. Most of the gulls weren't flying, but there was quite a bit of walkng around as the birds foraged on the mud and shallow water. The Black-headed Gull was in view the entire time I was there, however. Good birding.
Fred <ShafferGlaucousGull...>, Anne Arundel