Date: 3/31/18 10:51 am
From: Eve Wilson <evew...>
Subject: [birders] Interesting Titmouse Behavior
Today while birding at the Arb in Ann Arbor, I confirmed something I thought I had noticed previously when I find Titmice and Chickadees together in a group. The Titmice seem to imitate the Chickadee song.

What I heard and saw today, since I had the opportunity to watch for a while, is how the Chickadee would sing Chickadee - dee - dee and I then heard a voice reply using the same cadence, but sounding deeper and scratchy instead of clear. Then I saw the Titmouse and observed how it would respond to the Chickadee and it was clearly having a song conversation, though the "words and tone" were quite different, the cadence was the same.

I loved this! And it makes sense to me since they spend a lot of time together and are in the same family.

Eve

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<5B36440F067C2C4A851A4B2E385C2E1C8C7BDE89...>