Date: 3/30/18 8:19 pm
From: David Barrett <miler6...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Real-time bird alerts for Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens
Sean and all,

Let me address your issues point-by-point.

No one is required to post on anything, and no one is required to "chase"
any of the alerts. You and all birders are free to post as you see fit or
not post, for whatever reasons you have -- ethical or otherwise. None of
the county alerts have ever posted on a species on the eBird Sensitive
Species List, and it is likely that they never will. Though if a Gyrfalcon
ever chances to visit Brooklyn again, I suspect you will want to see it. So
will a lot of other people.

I strongly encourage all users of my alerts to treat wildlife with
appropriate respect. Ultimately, what anyone does with the alert info is a
matter of personal choice.

The alerts rely on public information and on tweets contributed freely and
willingly by followed users. In particular, publicly-visible eBird reports
are *public* information: anyone can view these reports online.

That said, as a general rule and out of respect for people's privacy, I do
not attribute names to reports of eBird users who do not follow the county
alerts on which I post the info. I may rarely include the eBird list as a
link, a permitted use of eBird info. The report itself is a matter of
public record. My posting that there is a "Eurasian Wigeon at Marine Park"
does not infringe on anyone's privacy.

In further point of fact, I do not see any Direct Messages on my account of
people asking that I not use their tweets. Not that it would matter -- for
reasons I discuss below. I do have a lot of messages thanking me for
running a great site and helping them to see the birds they wanted to see.

As a Twitter user you are aware that tweets posted on Twitter enter the
public realm -- same with anything you post on the internet. Private
information is a different matter, and Twitter has a policy on that:

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information

But I am not posting people's credit card numbers (of course that is
against Twitter rules). Twitter allows posting people's names, but I do not
even do that -- nor do I even post their Twitter handles -- if they are NOT
followers.

I run sites that provide birding information, and I post such information
as I am made aware of it. That is most certainly a fair use of Twitter
info.

Often other users pass information along to me from what they read or see.
If someone I trust tells me, "There is an Eastern Phoebe at Lullwater" I
will tweet "Eastern Phoebe reported at Lullwater." Maybe you were the
initial finder of the bird. Maybe you even tweeted it -- I don't know. If
you want credit, ask to follow my alerts and use them. But, no, you do not
get to decide that I cannot tweet that a certain wild bird might be in a
certain public place just because you saw it there!

Major League Baseball, by comparison, legally sells the rights to broadcast
its games. Still, I can tweet, "Severino struck out the side in the 3rd" if
I want -- even if the hitters he struck out would prefer that information
be kept quiet, and even if a hundred other fans tweeted the same thing.

To be clear, I am just another Twitter user. You see how Twitter works --
people say stuff on Twitter, and then other people respond to it. Sometimes
people say embarrassing things they immediately wish they had not said, and
then that stuff gets retweeted or quote-tweeted a million times and jobs
are lost and lives ruined. The excuse, "Sorry, I wanted that tweet to be
kept private" carries no weight. That is just not how Twitter works.

So no, there is no Facebook analogy here. I do not own any of your data. I
do not even make any money from the alerts -- in fact, I pay for the cloud
computing time that allows my software to run so the alert accounts can
gather and relay data quickly. You and I have no contract between each
other, implied or otherwise. If you want your bird reports to be completely
private, don't post them to Twitter or eBird or anywhere else on the net.
Then we'll all be the worse off for it.

I created Brooklyn Bird Alert because I wanted to help grow the birding
community in Brooklyn and provide it with a top-notch, free service that
organizes real-time reports and makes it simple for everyone to gain access
to them. Instead of everyone having to laboriously follow 100+ other
birding accounts and then get those 100+ to follow them back, I offer a
simple solution: follow the @BirdBrklyn account and it will provide all
relevant reports and handle following all other users. It also gives credit
to those followed users tweeting reports with it. We have a lot of happy
Brooklyn followers.

This is all I have to say on the matter. I am happy to discuss further with
you (or anyone) by email, but I will not say anything more here. I think we
all would like to focus on enjoying the start of the season and on reading
bird reports here.

David Barrett
Manhattan

ARCHIVES: