Date: 3/30/18 6:38 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] In reply to Tom Crabtree
Hi All,

I was amused by the title of this recent thread, having known Tom
Crabtree for over 20 years now.

I think I first got in touch with Tom C. when I was struggling to find
Red Crossbills, in the previous millenium. He gave me some very helpful
tips which I cashed in on, the next time that I was out in the Ochocos.

I understand where Tom C. is coming from on this one, and also Tom L.,
as moderator. COBOL is still hosted by Oregon State University, so it
has a narrowly defined mandate. There are actually rules about this,
which the COBOL administrator needs to follow, or else they could get
kicked off of the server. And then there would be no COBOL.

The statewide list (OBOL) is hosted on "freelists.org" which has no such
rules. However the list is maintained by the Oregon Birding Association
(OBA) which has its own rules. Postings there need to pertain to Oregon
birds. So it's a good place to post your trip report from a jaunt to the
Coast.

If you pass through the Willamette Valley on your way to the Coast,
you're very welcome to post your sightings to the Mid-Willamette Valley
birding list, which I administer at midvalleybirding.org. This list is
hosted privately, pro bono, so we have no strict rules on content.
Please just try to keep it relevant to the interests of list
subscribers. Occasional postings from the Coast are welcome (it's not so
much of a trip for us) and so far have not really been a problem, as the
focus usually comes back to local sightings pretty quickly. We do
discourage repetitive commercial postings.

I also encourage cross-postings of birds that you find near Santiam
Pass.

Good birding,
Joel

--