Date: 3/30/18 4:05 pm
From: ECOC Mail <ecocmail...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Essex County Ornithological Club Meeting Reminder Friday, April 6, 2018 - Plus: Speaker’s Box- Special Collection For Plank Fundraiser April 6!
Friday, April 6, 7:45 pm
It’s for the Birds!
Plus ECOC meeting, 7:30-7:45 pm

Everyone with access to a patch of earth can make a significant
contribution toward sustaining biodiversity. Douglas Tallamy, a giant in
the natural gardening world and the award-winning author of Bringing
Nature Home, shares his deep knowledge of what birds need in landscaped
spaces to breed successfully and the important roles native plants play
in maintaining food webs for birds.

Discover ways you can transform a garden into a haven for birds and
other wildlife. A book signing follows the program. This event is made
possible by a generous donation from The Echo Charitable Foundation.
Co-sponsored by PEM.

Morse Auditorium, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem. Free and open to the public.

For directions please see:

http://massbird.org/ecoc/Directions.htm

------------

Hello ECOC Members and all attending the upcoming meeting,

As you might have heard, the Friends of Parker River has organized a
Boardwalk Plank Fundraiser to raise money to save the Hellcat trail.
The Marsh loop has been closed since October 2017 and the other sections
of the trail are in rough shape.

The fundraiser aims not only save Hellcat trail, but to improve the
safety and accessibility of all the boardwalks on the Parker River
National Wildlife Refuge. The initial goal is to raise $100,000 for the
Marsh Loop rebuild, which is the most time-critical.  The total funding
of the Hellcat Trail project will require both government and private
grants, which the Friends is also pursuing.  Early estimates for the
entire project indicate $1 to 4 million may be required.  We’ll know
more when the design phase is completed, but it’s a big project!

For a donation of $100, individual donors have an opportunity to
demonstrate their support by having a plank engraved with a name they
specify.  The engraved planks, made of synthetic recycled materials,
will replace the wooden planks on the refuge’s boardwalks, starting with
the boardwalk at Lot #1.  All profits from the donations will be
provided to the refuge and used specifically for the Hellcat Trail project.

The ECOC council has voted to support this effort with a corporate-level
donation of $350.  We certainly hope that you will consider donating a
plank, but if you cannot or you just want to give a little extra, please
consider dropping what you can in the Speaker’s box at the meeting this
Friday, April 6, to help us defray the cost. We will pick up the balance
of the $350 and anything that we might collect over that amount will
also be donated to the fundraiser.