Date: 3/30/18 1:55 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 3/30 Manx Shearwaters and Merlin at Revere Beach, etc.
Thanks to Paul Peterson for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

I'm glad I started at the southern end, or I would have missed my F.O.Y.
MERLIN atop the roof antenna of the gold apartment building with the
balconies on it.

MANX SHEARWATER 6          Wonderland area, a bit south of the Pink
Apartments. I was watching three Manx Shearwater just sitting on the
water (as they are wont to do) for twenty-five minutes. I had been
hoping to see them
fly. I got impatient and was just about to leave, when they decided to
do just that..  Almost out of nowhere, three more Manx Shearwaters
joined them in flight. This lasted only thirty seconds or so. When they
settled back down on thwater, there were now six of them, and they had
moved closer to the Pink Apartments. This is typical behavior for this
species. WHAT FUN!

MERLIN 1                  F.O.Y.fanning its tail to reveal the
alternating black and white tail stripes

BELLE ISLE HIGHLIGHTS:

Great Egret 2              F.O.Y.
Great Blue Heron 4
Brant 31
Green-winged Teal 12
Gadwall 1
Killdeer 4                flyovers
Wilson's Snipe 1          F.O.Y.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Tree Swallow 2            F.O.Y.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...> <mailto:<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!