Date: 3/30/18 9:44 am
From: Maurice Gilmore <petegilmore79...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Topsfield Fish crows and breeding American crows
Hi,

We have had Fish Crows nest near the intersection of Plymouth and
Woodward streets in Newton for three years. This year, all of a sudden
there have been up to 12 Fish Crows, and some moves to keep Amareicam Crows
away. The Fish Crows that I imagine are our “core” pair have not settled on
a spot yet to nest, as I watch. It is a different year for Corvids near
me.

Pete Gilmore
Newton, MA
<Petegilmore79...>

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 8:33 AM James MacDougall <jm3...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For over thirty years now, we have had a group of Fish crows visit our
> yard in Topsfield during the week of Easter. And only on Easter. A group of
> 12 flew over yesterday and the local pairs of American crows challenged
> them to move on.
>
> I have made it a rule to only use the two note nasal call of the Fish crow
> for identification at this time of year. I have been fooled by an American
> crow doing a single nasal call during nest building that is nearly
> identical to that of a Fish crow. I read that the female American crow does
> this food begging call during the initial days of breeding. I assume the
> Fish crow has a single nasal call, but for the next couple of weeks, I find
> I canâ~@~Yt trust my ears to tell them apart.
>

> Jim MacDougall

Join us on Facebook!