Date: 3/30/18 5:36 am
From: James MacDougall <jm3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Topsfield Fish crows and breeding American crows
Hi,

For over thirty years now, we have had a group of Fish crows visit our yard in Topsfield during the week of Easter. And only on Easter. A group of 12 flew over yesterday and the local pairs of American crows challenged them to move on.

I have made it a rule to only use the two note nasal call of the Fish crow for identification at this time of year. I have been fooled by an American crow doing a single nasal call during nest building that is nearly identical to that of a Fish crow. I read that the female American crow does this food begging call during the initial days of breeding. I assume the Fish crow has a single nasal call, but for the next couple of weeks, I find I canā~@~Yt trust my ears to tell them apart.

Jim MacDougall

Join us on Facebook!