Date: 3/29/18 8:00 pm
From: Macklin Smith <macklins...>
Subject: [birders] Great Horned Owls at County Farm Park
All~

I walk the dog there pretty much every morning quite early and\, while
doing so, have seen or heard Great Horned Owls on multiple occasions over
the past couple months. Most recently, one was out in the open in a
deciduous thicket quite near the west parking lot and water tower woods. A
month ago a pair was dueting in the woods off and on for a week or so. On
other occasions I or we (the dog-walking group) has seen or heard owls
being mobbed by crows at various locations throughout the park. I'd be
surprised if they weren't nesting somewhere but I don't know where--there
are quite a few possible spots for them out there, including in the water
tower woods.

So far as I know, this is the first winter/spring in recent memory when
this owl species has been obviously resident at CFP.

Macklin

Macklin Smith
Department of English
University of Michigan