Date: 3/29/18 7:42 pm
From: Juliet Berger <juliet.berger...>
Subject: [birders] First Spring Migration Bird Walk at the Arb Today
Birders and friends,
Five birders braved the late March weather and came out for our first bird
walk of spring today, at Nichols Arboretum in Ann Arbor. Two new birders
attended their first Washtenaw Audubon Society event, which was fun for the
rest of us! Think lifers every other bird!!
We were all rewarded with a chorus of Song and White-throated Sparrows,
Red-winged Blackbirds, and a few first of the year Phoebes, already on
territory. One persistent fellow was back at the railroad bridge over the
Huron just east of the Beach.
Later in the walk, we had nice close looks at a perched immature Red-tailed
Hawk.
After all the participants left, I met up with Karen Markey, scouting the
Arb, as she always does, for her Early Migrants bird walk coming up on
April 7. We discovered a pair of Wood Ducks who clearly had just claimed a
tree cavity on the south side of Dow Prairie. A flock of Chicadees and
Titmice expanded to include several Golden-crowned Kinglets, and a male
Eastern Bluebird. Brown Creeper and Pine Siskin joined the mix, too.
Several species of Woodpecker were busy at work.

Join us every Thursday morning through April and May. I can't wait to see
you all!!
And, don't forget Karen Markey's Early Migrants walk on April 7 at 8 a.m.
(where we'll expect many Kinglets, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Creepers,
and hope for a Winter Wren!) We meet at the Riverview Ct. entrance to the
Arb. See www.washtenawaudubon.org for more details on these and other
great field trips and programs.

Juliet Berger
President, Washtenaw Audubon Society

p.s. Jessica Adamczyk and I are leading the WAS Woodcock Walk coming up on
Friday April 6th at 7:45 pm at Barton Nature Area. See the website or your
WAS newsletter for details. Spring birds, yay!!!

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CABVs24KxAQXzPPa_nNMYg7cEwycVsRTU%2BKahW3YnTEt%3D%<3DO4FkQ...>