Date: 3/29/18 6:49 pm
From: 'Stephen J. Davies' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Migration in the burbs
Definite signs of birds moving into the region on the warm air from the south today. I stopped by Wheaton Branch Stormwater Ponds in suburban Silver Spring this morning, which doesn’t have much attractive habitat, but offers views of the sky. A steady northward stream of robins was accompanied first by two Great Egrets, and then by an Osprey and an American Kestrel. A Bald Eagle made a low pass, moving off toward Sligo Creek. As I watched the eagle disappear over the rooftops, another small falcon streaked over. I assumed it was the kestrel making another pass, but the single photo I obtained shows flanks heavily streaked with dark brown and dark brown upperwings - a female Merlin, perhaps the same bird that’s been seen on and off at Wheaton Regional Park the last couple winters.

eBird checklist with photos:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44056677

Happy Spring Migration ~.~

Stephen J. Davies