Date: 3/29/18 2:00 pm
From: Gerald Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Bluebirds n wrens in nestboxes
Hi Marianne,

I usually post to the Serve, in case others want to weigh in.

This wren dilemma is nothing new.

In my forty-two years to build and erect nestboxes, I have experienced that any fenceline as boundary from pasture to woodlot or heavy shrub, is where House Wrens like to congregate. I have seldom found them in deep woods, never in pasture or wetland.

You seem to have covered options pretty well. I am sure the wrens are jamming boxes with sticks just to deter neighbors.They will occupy one box to nest, but will jam any other nearby boxes. The real nestbox will have a tiny cup of grass up on top of the sticks. Since you have so many boxes, you might want to see if they are stick-jamming, and try removing some to see what happens?. They are not building real nests there, so there should not be anything legal or ethical about it.

I think there was this discourse last year about wren incursion. Anybody else is welcome?

Jerry Kruth
Pittsburgh