Date: 3/29/18 1:32 pm
From: Jack Swatt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hammonassett SP and Portland Fairgrounds
    I went to Hammonassett SP today to look for early migrants.  There were a total of 5 Great Egrets moving around the marshes at Meig's Point and several Osprey checking out their nests.  There were 2 first-year Iceland Gulls off of Shell Beach.  While I was on the bank overlooking Shell Beach, I was scanning the water looking at ducks when I heard the distinctive Kee-ur of a Common Tern.  I looked up to see the tern flying east with a few gulls.    On Willard's Island there were a few Myrtle Warblers and I was surprised to hear a few singing Golden-crowned Kinglets.    At Portland Fairgrounds there was a good variety of ducks in the flooded fields mostly to the east of the fair buildings.  I found one Northern Pintail in the mix of many Wood Ducks and Green-winged Teal.  I was hoping for snipe but was unable to come up with any walking around the fairgrounds.
Jack Swatt
Wolcott, CT