Date: 3/29/18 8:19 am
From: John Liller <john.liller...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary - 3/28/18
I recorded the following yesterday afternoon (3/28/18) at the Broad Meadow
Brook Wildlife Sanctuary in Worcester. I walked the Troiano-Heron
Pond-Powerline loop and also from Sprague Lane to Wilson Swamp.

Canada Goose (2 - Wilson's Swamp)
Wood Duck (21 - 11 in Wilson Swamp and 10 in Heron Pond; numerous pairs)
Mallard (26 - 6 in brook along Troiano, 2 in Heron Pond, 18 in Wilson's
Swamp; numerous pairs)
Great Blue Heron (2 - both on nest in Heron Pond)
Red-tailed Hawk (1 - soaring over the wet meadow; same or 2nd bird seen
over powerlines)
Mourning Dove (5)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (3)
Downy Woodpecker (5)
Hairy Woodpecker (1)
Blue Jay (9)
American Crow (10)
FISH CROW (1 - calling; with a group of American Crows)
Black-capped Chickadee (9)
Tufted Titmouse (8)
White-breasted Nuthatch (7)
Carolina Wren (2)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (1)
Eastern Bluebird (1)
American Robin (4)
Song Sparrow (13)
White-throated Sparrow (1)
Dark-eyed Junco (6)
Northern Cardinal (6)
Red-winged Blackbird (34 - all males)
Common Grackle (37)
House Finch (8)
American Goldfinch (2)
House Sparrow (8)

Also: 3 Garter Snakes together, 1 Mourning Cloak, and lots of fresh Beaver
activity along the Troiano Brookside Trail. And when I reached the southern
end of the wet meadow along Troiano, I heard something squeaking at me from
the trunk of a tree. It was a Little Brown Bat.

Finally, when I got back to my house in Grafton, I heard 2 Barred Owls
dueting.

Join us on Facebook!