Date: 3/28/18 6:11 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Willowdale SF (east), Mar 28, 2018
Willowdale SF (east), Ipswich

Mar 28, 2018 12:00 PM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: I walked a 2-mile loop thru the forest from Topsfield Rd. on the south side. I didn't hear everything I wanted to, but I can't complain about the results!
14 species

Wood Duck 2 pair in Gravelly Brook
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 Within the first minute of my walk I heard 2 red-shoulders calling almost over my head. I was lucky to observe a little of the male's "sky dance" as described in the BNA account: "Male also performs 'sky-dance,' soaring upward and calling. When female appears, male makes a series of steep dives, each dive checked and followed by a wide spiral and rapid ascent before the next. Circling flight and sky-dance apparently serve for courtship. In one study, courtship flights usually occurred between 11:00 and 13:00 h on clear days." I saw this male make two dives on a clear day right at noon! The larger female followed him, not diving. I heard one of them calling in flight again on my return to my car. I have heard these birds in this forest almost ever year recently but have yet to get a bead on a nest.
Mourning Dove 4 2 apparent pairs, both flushed from ground.
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 2 2 females in a face-off, pointing their bills straight up and flaring those tail feathers.
Pileated Woodpecker 2 One called near me; the other drummed repeatedly, far away from the first.
Common Raven 1 Heard one twice; possibly 2 birds. (Heard no jays or crows.)
Black-capped Chickadee 16 They sure outnumbered the titmice today.
Tufted Titmouse 7
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 These birds have been hard to find all winter. This one is my first since Nov. 24!
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Brown Creeper 2
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 4