Date: 3/28/18 6:01 pm
From: Douglas Beach via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Simsbury Varied Thrush; a qualified YES
From Great Pond State Forest in Simsbury:
At 7:15 Wednesday morning I saw a silhouette of what I believe was the Varied Thrush.  It was very close to where I found iton Monday afternoon the 19th; approx. 150 feet north of the kiosk and on the right side of the trail.  Today I stood on the RIGHT edge of the trail, between two RED pine trees (note that most of the other evergreens are either white pines or hemlocks).  From that point: look north up the trail (away from the kiosk); the bird was approx. 45 degrees to the right, or in the 1 or 2 o'clock position.  The bird was in the hemlocks, approx. 20 feet off the ground and maybe 40 feet away from where I was standing.  Unfortunately, it was only a silhouette, and I could not get any field marks.  However, its size and behavior were consistent with what I had seen previously.
At 6:15 Wednesday evening, I saw movement in EXACTLY the same location.  The bird was hidden by a hemlock branch, but I didcatch a splash of orange at one point.  The bird then disappeared, and a squirrel appeared shortly thereafter.
I wish I could say the looks were good ones, but they were not.  My suggestion to those traveling long distances is that they try bothmorning and evening to increase their chances.
In the meantime, I will try again Thursday morning and let you know what transpires.
Doug BeachSimsbury