Date: 3/28/18 12:57 pm
From: Soheil Zendeh <sohzendeh...>
Subject: RE: [MASSBIRD] All white feathered gull Nantasket (Leucistic Herring Gull)
Warren, Abby,

The bill on your bird suggests a second-cycle Glaucous Gull – tubular and long with pink basal 3/4 and sharply defined black tip as the final ¼.

Take a look at the bird I marked as Glaucous Gull in the Deer Island flocks last week:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskPz64y7

The average size of Glaucous is certainly larger than Herring, but there are some small ones that are similar in size. They are almost always ornerier than Herring.

Just to be sure there was no Herring Gull component in this bird: Did you see any dark feather tips on it?

The reason I ask is that many years ago I saw a similar “dominant” white gull at Revere Beach, but it had some slightly dark smudges on the outer primaries, so I was sure it was NOT a Glaucous. I couldn’t figure it out, so I sent the description around to various folks and one person , Davis Finch (legendary old-school birder, lives in NH) wrote back that it sounded like a hybrid Herring x Glaucous. And the only one like it he had ever seen was the orneriest gull he knew! That particular hybrid is now known as a Nelson’s Gull – no idea who Nelson was. Needless to say, I’ve been looking for another Nelson’s ever since.

Soheil Zendeh

42 Baker Ave

Lexington, MA 02421

Original post: