Date: 3/28/18 11:14 am
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Wilson's Snipe, Waterfowl in Frederick Co. and Winchester area
Bill Parkin and I headed out this morning in hopes of avoiding the rain and in hopes of finding Snipe in particular and hoping also for some waterfowl. Our first stop at Lake Frederick yielded 2 Common Loons, 2 Horned Grebes, 3 Ring-necked Ducks, and both Tree and Northern Rough-winged Swallows.

We then headed north to the Clear Brook area where we found 2 Wilson’s Snipe on Grace Church Road and a lone Horned Lark at Cline’s Farm along Hopewell Road, just of the I-81 exit.

Then down to Kernstown at the Rubbermaid pond, just south of Winchester off Rt. 11. Here we had 6 duck species, along with about 50 Canada Geese. 3 Northern Shoveler, 1 Gadwall, 2 Green-winged Teal, 2 Redheads, 17 Ring-necked Ducks, and 3 Lesser Scaup.

Our final stop was on Clines’s Mill Road just off Rt. 11 near the truck scale outside Middletown. The marshy field yielded a minimum of 18 Wilson’s Snipe. This was also a good spot to find them last year for a short time.

Dave Boltz
Lake Frederick