Date: 3/28/18 8:41 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 03/27/2018
Spring still seems a bit delayed on Poplar Island. I only observed five Tree Swallows yesterday (compare to 62 on 03/30/2017 and 57 on 03/23/2016). Killdeer numbers also seemed low, with five yesterday (compare to 15 on 03/30/2017 and 18 on 03/23/2016).

The first transient passerines of the spring were noted: one each of Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Bluebird, and Dark-eyed Junco.

The most unusual species I encountered was a Pileated Woodpecker, which called twice from Coaches Island. This was the first time I personally recorded this species in the general Poplar Island area.

The cluster of Short-eared Owls was still present. I counted ten at the barges. Other staff found two more at the south end of the site.

I also counted 110 Gadwall and 24 White-winged Scoters offshore, which seemed high compared to other censuses this winter.

eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44014066

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD