Date: 3/27/18 6:21 pm
From: James Meyers <jamesleomeyers...>
Subject: [MDBirding] GB Heron rookery at Loch Raven Reservoir
Today while checking on an eagle nest at Loch Raven Reservoir in Baltimore Co. I spotted a Great Blue Heron rookery. There were at least 15 herons and 9 stick nests. Some of the birds were on the nests and others were perched nearby. Earlier this winter I had seen this tightly grouped set of empty stick nests and thought it could be an old rookery.....today's observation verified it. The Bald Eagle nest was occupied by an adult bird and I could not see any young ( I was viewing through a spotting scope on the opposite side of the reservoir, quite a distance away).
The following may be off subject locally but will be of interest to birders. A pair of Great Horned Owls have nested right next to each other on a window ledge at the Desert Research Institute in Reno, Nevada. These two birds are within inches of each other and it is believed that one male GH Owl has mated with them both! The Nevada Dept. of Wildlife has set up a camera and is streaming a live feed of this previously unknown behavior. You can watch online by going to the website VIEW NESTING BIRDS....click on GREAT HORNED OWL....then scroll down to the Reno Nevada site. Should be quite interesting to see how the 2 broods interact.
Jim Meyers Nottingham, MD