Date: 3/27/18 2:31 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] South Valley Park - Deer Creek area, JeffCo - birds in the snow 3/27
I went out for a while this morning in the South Valley Park and Deer Creek
area, Jefferson, to see if last night's 5" inches of new snow brought
anything out. I did find *Mountain* and *Western Bluebirds* in moderate
numbers (about 40 and 20 respectively) at several places, many flying over.
And I found some other birds of interest, coincident with the snow, but
likely unrelated:

A *Wilson's Snipe* gave chipping calls from the snow-encrusted marsh at
Docmann Gulch in South Valley Park. This was my first of the season there,
where they apparently nest.

Then I found an *Eastern Phoebe* along Deer Creek downstream of Grizzly
Drive. The bird was foraging right along the creek with snow sloughing off
the branches and twigs all around it. A lovely sight.

Then at Buckhorn Road I saw a male *Williamson's Sapsucker* in junipers and
pines. This species is unexpected down near the hogbacks, out of the forest
in the foothills proper. A *Red Crossbill *flew over.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO