Date: 3/27/18 7:07 am
Subject: Re: Buckhorn Res. Lesser Black-backed Gulls
I don’t necessarily agree about the ring-bills - even a couple weeks ago the thousands of adult Ring-bills had left the landfill at Conway, SC, leaving only a scant couple hundred straggling immatures. And this week I have seen internet photos of Ring-bills at their nesting colonies in the great lakes.

There is a window in spring when the large white-headed gulls greatly outnumber the Ring-bills. Weird, but it does happen.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 9:48 AM, Harry E. LeGrand Jr <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> A total of 321 gulls and nary a RIng-billed Gull? Anywhere else inland, a group of that many gulls would nearly all be RBG -- like at Lake Crabtree. Must have been some Ring-billeds that you simply didn't mention in your posting.
>
> Harry LeGrand
> Raleigh
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 9:22 AM, Ricky Davis (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>
>> Stopped by Buckhorn Reservoir in Wilson County at sunrise this
>> morning. From the boat ramp, was able to count the gulls sitting on
>> the water. There were two main rafts of birds with both being made up
>> of all Lesser Black-backeds! There were only a couple of handfuls of
>> Herring Gulls mixed in with them. I counted 307 Lessers and 14
>> Herrings. All age classes were present, and some of the adults were in
>> fine plumage with clean heads and bright bills. Quite a few of the
>> adults were very dark backed. Within thirty minutes the birds started
>> flying around and by 8:00 they had dispersed and only 20-30 were left
>> over the lake. This must have been some kind of staging before moving
>> on. I do not remember ever seeing anything quite like this with
>> Lessers. An amazing total for anywhere in NC, especially inland!
>>
>> --
>> Ricky Davis
>> Rocky Mount, NC

Join us on Facebook!