Date: 3/26/18 5:13 pm
From: Bob Duchesne <duchesne...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] 30-toed Woodpeckers
I've been watching the weather, waiting for that perfect day to get up to
the Chamberlain Lake area, scouting out my favorite woodpeckers. Today was
the day. And I wanted to be there at dawn, so I went up last night and slept
in the car.well, the van.well, the big van. I tried to get to sleep early,
but a saw-whet owl kept piping for hours. It was so close, I could hear it
through the closed doors, the little twerp. I didn't bring a thermometer and
I don't know what the temp was when I woke up, but urine froze before
hitting the ground, so I'm guessing daybreak started cold. It warmed
quickly.

Finch fest. Chamberlain Bridge was alive at sunrise, with tons of siskins
and crossbills. Most were red crossbills - type 173, I think. Purple finches
were in full song. It was noisy the whole dad-gummed day. I birded my usual
haunts west of there. There were just as many siskins along the road, but
most of the crossbills were white-winged. And THEY were singing up a storm.
At least five brown creepers were singing. Through that stretch, I
encountered two black-backed woodpeckers and three American three-toed
woodpeckers. That's a total of 30 toes.

Officially, the calendar says it is spring. But there is still four feet of
snow on the ground up there, and it was a sloppy ride home after the
temperatures rose.

Bob Duchesne

Woodpecker Whisperer