Date: 3/26/18 2:16 pm
From: Steven Brown <sbrown37...>
Subject: [cobirds] Prairie Birds, SE El Paso Co, Monday
Hey again, COBirders,

After the fog lifted this morning I ventured out to SE El Paso County on Hanover Road - mostly to look for Roadrunners, Burrowing Owls, and Mountain Plovers, all of which remain unseen by me. I did a loop of Hanover Road, Milne, Squirrel Creek to the end, Myers and back on Hanover. I only could find one active prairie dog town, at Squirrel Creek and Peyton Hwy.

It is VERY dry out there, but I did see some typical birds, and a few new arrivals. Seen today:

Curve-billed Thrashers - 3 pair. First pair S of Hanover Rd on Meridian, Second on Milne Rd N of Hanover Rd, and Third, right next to the fire house in Hanover.
2 Mountain Bluebirds, Says Phoebe, Great Horned Owl - at the far end of Squirrel Creek Rd.
Ferruginous Hawk
Swainson’s Hawk
2 Scaled Quail
ONE Loggerhead Shrike on Hanover Rd (we usually see dozens and band many!)
Lotsa Red-tails, kestrels, ravens, Horned Larks, and W Meadowlarks. Couldn’t spot any sparrows.

And for those keeping track - I spotted two White-throated Swifts at Garden of the God Park this afternoon - my first time this year, But be warned - the human traffic, full parking lots, and stop-and-go cars this week have made it tough to find a spot for viewing. Maybe the crowds will dissipate after spring break!

Happy Spring,
Steve Brown
Colorado Springs