Date: 3/26/18 9:35 am
From: B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] This is why Purple Finches are called "purple" even when they aren't
I've been reading responses to my initial question and looking some
stuff up. I think I've come up with a plausible reason as to why
Purple Finches are called "purple" even though they are not purple.

The bird was originally described by Gmelin in 1789. Part of the
scientific name assigned to it was "purpureus"...Latin for "purple".
Back in the day, a lot of colors we consider "reddish" were considered
to be in the purple color spectrum. That shifted over time and now we
consider some of these colors to be in the red color spectrum.

Sound plausible?

Bernie Sloan
Highland Park, NJ

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>