Date: 3/25/18 12:29 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Long-tailed Ducks, Common Loons - Armstrong County
This morning I did a quick sweep of Keystone Lake, stopping at 3 locations to scope for waterfowl. The lake was completely free of ice and there were a good number of ducks scattered throughout various parts of the lake, but most notably were a pair of Long-tailed Ducks and a pair of Common Loons diving far out in the center of the lake as seen from Atwood boat launch. The Long-tailed Ducks took flight and circled the lake once while I had them in the scope and I could make out the distinct dark breast and white on the heads even at quite a distance. Unfortunately after they circled once they flew south and out of sight in the direction of the dam. I ended up with 13 species of waterfowl for the short morning out. The full checklist is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43940379

Good birding,

Alan Buriak

Gibsonia, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!