Date: 3/25/18 11:59 am
From: Mark Amershek <mamershek...>
Subject: [cobirds] Tunnel Drive Hotspot - Canon City - Fremont County
Has anyone ran into any problems birding in the area west of the new
parking lot. I have noticed in the past that when they upgraded the
parking area and toilet facilities they also installed a chain link fence
around the perimeter of the lot and added a locked vehicle gate.
Previously we could walk down from the old parking lot into the area behind
the "pump house" and bird the area. Since then I have went around the
outside of the fence to get down into this area. Is this procedure still
appropriate - or has this area been closed off to public access
completely? When I was leading a DFO field trip there last week I ran into
two guys in a truck in the area by the "pump house". We had just arrived
and I wanted to check with them that it was okay to go down into that
area. They told me that the area was supposed to be shut down by the Water
Department for water security issues and were somewhat agitated for my
permission request. It seems that they were just checking out the water
canal that is between the "pump house" and the railroad track. Any
information you may have about the current situation at this location would
be greatly appreciated.