Date: 3/25/18 9:19 am
From: Larry Meade via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dyke Marsh, Fairfax County, Mar 25, 2018

It was a cold and blustery morning at the weekly Friends of Dyke Marsh sponsored bird walk held every Sunday at 8:00 AM and free and open to all. We had fifteen birders off and on who braved the cold for various lengths of time. We started at the Belle Haven picnic area which did not yield too much. The Peregrine Falcon was spotted at its usual perch on the Wilson Bridge. When we walked over to the marina, however, the action really picked up. There is a Bald Eagle nest along Haul Road and an Osprey nest in the marina. The two nests are occupied and in close proximity to each other. This situation may invite a certain amount of conflict in the coming months and it will be interesting to see what happens. Today we watched as a Bald Eagle and an Osprey mixed it up in an airborne skirmish. Also at the marina, we studied several Common and Red-breasted Mergansers of both sexes which were hanging out together in a group. It was a good chance to compare the similarities and differ
ences of the two species. Along Haul Road on the way to the boardwalk we found both Horned and Pied-billed Grebes, Golden-crowned Kinglets, a Brown Creeper, a Field Sparrow and an Eastern Phoebe.

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA

Dyke Marsh, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Mar 25, 2018 8:00 AM - 9:25 AM