Date: 3/24/18 7:51 pm
From: Loren Hintz <ldhintz...>
Subject: 3/22-24/18 Wilmington area visit
Wilmington area: I just returned from 3 days birding with a friend (Don Pendleton) from California. We saw a number of FOY birds for us. Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow, Cliff Swallow and Yellow throated Warbler at Greenfield Park in Wilmington. (This is a nice place to bird. Also had good views of white ibises and pileated woodpeckers.) At Arlie Gardens in Wilmington we had one Parula and great views of Black-crowned Nightherons, Wood ducks and White Ibises plus the Azaleas and Tulips were blooming. At Mason Inlet (Wrightsville Beach) there was one Least Tern and several Black Skimmers. Jamie and Sam helped point out a Great Cormorant on the distant rocks at Masonboro. There were also 5 White winged Scoters there. Horned Grebes and Common Loons were often in breeding plumage. There were many species of gulls and shorebirds at Ft Fisher and Wrightsville. We did not see a Painted bunting at Carolina Beach SP but the ranger told us they have been seen recently.
LorenĀ From Loren Hintz Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!