Date: 3/22/18 7:24 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Clark's Nutcracker Building Nests
Hi all. Last week while out with the camera, I encountered two Clark's
Nutcrackers building a nest. It was one of a few times I have seen Clark's
Nutcrackers building nests as they, like other Corvids are early nesters. I
sat and observed as both male and female cycled in with nesting materials
every 3 minutes. It was amazing to watch. This species may have been
under-represented in Atlas block surveys since they are such early
nesters and habitats are often inaccessible so early in the year due to
snow (except for this year!).

I took photos whenever the busy birds perched for a moment. They pretty
much ignored me which was somewhat fascinating of itself. I have included
about 6 photos of their labors on my photography website
http://johnrawinski.zenfolio.com/ under "Recent Additions". Note that the
photos are intended as documentation and not necessarily for artistic
merit. If you get a moment, please check it out.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO