Date: 3/22/18 5:39 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nesting Bald Eagles at Barton Cove
Hi Mark - the only nest in the Cove proper of which I’m aware is the one on the island across the river from the Gill boat ramp. I’ve heard that there is a newer nest upriver by the Turners Falls Rod & Gun Club, but have not seen it for myself yet. I would guess that this second nest might be over a year old, as I’ve heard people report one or more immature birds in its vicinity as well as the breeding adults. Is this the second nest you mean, or is there another one on Barton Cove itself?

I’ve also heard of a third nest downriver, below the power canal and the Canalside Rail Trail bridge, on an island between Montague and Deerfield, but that one is reportedly not viewable from anywhere open to the public unless you are in a boat.

Good birding!

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Mar 22, 2018, at 6:42 PM, Mark Fairbrother <bogelfin...> wrote:
>
> Apparently I’m even more out of the loop than I realized; how long has there been twoactive Bald Eagle nests at the Cove?
>
> Mark Fairbrother
> Montague, MA 01351

Join us on Facebook!